Fandom: Transformers
Series: n/a
Author: FuziPenguin
Characters: Wheeljack, Starscream, Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp
Pairing: Wheeljack & Starscream; Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywarp
Rating: PG13
Word Count: 3409
Summary: Wheeljack helps Starscream discover something about his romantic orientation. And for once, a lab accident is not Wheeljack's fault.
Warnings: Established Relationship, Post War, Aromanticism, Self-Discovery, Friendship, Explosions, Injury
Notes: Self-beta'd. Written for Year 2 of the Transformers Spectrum zine. And good news, this year the zine raised $3096 for the Transgender Law center! :)
Disclaimer: This is a piece of fiction. No harm was intended in the creation of this work. All rights belong to the original creators.
“When do you think you’ll be home tonight, Star?”
“When I’m done.”
Wheeljack winced at the curt reply to Skywarp’s innocently asked question. Glancing to his right, Wheeljack was met with the sight of a dejected Skywarp, an exasperated Thundercracker, and an oblivious Starscream.
Per usual.
“Oh, I’ll kick him out before too long,” Wheeljack said, a cheery note in his voice. Starscream’s head shot up from his microscope. There was pure fury in his optics, but it was worth it to see the joy in Skywarp’s uplifted wings.
“Thanks, Jack! I know he gets lost in what he’s doing sometimes. We’re glad he’s got such a good lab partner!” Skywarp gushed. “See you later, Starshine!”
He threw his arms around Starscream and nuzzled the back of his neck, making a happy sound. Starscream hunched his shoulders and growled like a grumpy turbohound. To Wheeljack’s surprise, Starscream’s fingers curled into claws and his talons dug into the countertop, out of Skywarp’s sight.
Wheeljack didn’t think Thundercracker could see it, just happening to pull Skywarp away at that moment. “C’mon, Sky. Starscream’s in the middle of something; you know how he gets.”
“I know. Love you, Star!”
Starscream mumbled a goodbye as Thundercracker trailed a hand over his prickly trinemate’s shoulder. The Cybertronian leader’s face was already buried back in his microscope. He barely seemed to notice the touch, just giving a faint twitch of his wings.
Thundercracker mouthed ‘thank you’ at Wheeljack before he and Skywarp left, shutting the door quietly behind them.
Silence descended in the lab.
Well, silence other than the usual tick of machines and bubble of percolating solutions. Normally, Wheeljack would have dived back into his research, but something tugged at his processor. For several minutes, he deliberated saying something. It really wasn’t his business. But Starscream was kinda-sorta his friend. And Skywarp was sweet and Thundercracker was nice, and oh, if Wheeljack was going to be yelled at, why not for a good cause?
“You know, they just miss you.”
Out of the corner of Wheeljack’s optic, he watched Starscream go still.
“–I beg your pardon?”
“Your trinemates. You do so much for Cybertron as an administrator, and then you spend long hours here in the lab–they just miss you–that’s all.”
Wheeljack turned on his stool and faced Starscream, earnestly staring him down. Starscream, on the other hand, steadfastly continued looking into his microscope.
“What makes you think my relationship with my trinemates is any of your business?” Starscream’s voice was frosty. But Starscream’s voice was never exactly friendly, so Wheeljcak wasn’t deterred.
“Well, you’re my friend–” Starscream snorted, and Wheeljack backtracked, “–okay, we’re on friendly terms at least, and I want to see you happy. You know what the humans say: ‘happy wife, happy life!”
That got Starscream to look at Wheeljack. Unfortunately, the expression was one of the most incredulous the Seeker had ever sent Wheeljack’s way.
“’Happy wife, happy life’? I’m sorry, are you insinuating I should be subservient to my trinemates to obtain peace in our relationship?”
“–erm–“
“Wheeljack, the only thing wrong with my trine is I made the unfortunate decision to bond people who are horrifyingly clingy and over-affectionate. If I had known how–ugh, sappy–Skywarp and Thundercracker were ahead of time, I would have picked someone else.”
Wheeljack tilted his head, confused at Starscream’s wording. “–‘picked’–?” he murmured.
“Now I must ask–” Starscream continued, “–that you refrain from commenting further. It’s honestly none of your concern. I’m–completely happy! Cybertron’s prospering, I’m out from under Megatron’s thumb and researching again, and there’s nothing wrong between myself and my trinemates!”
Starscream turned back to his microscope with a decisive nod. Wheeljack stared at Starscream doubtfully.
“Are you sure? You seem awfully tense,” Wheeljack ventured, recalling the hunch of Starscream’s shoulders. And the way he had clawed the table. Neither had seemed the action of a relaxed mech happy with their bondmates.
Starscream threw up his hands. “Now you’re going to suggest there’s something wrong with our interfacing habits!”
“Well–“ Wheeljack glanced over at the wall. Now he was really starting to regret ever speaking up. But he was committed at this point. “–um, is there?”
“No! You know what? I’m leaving. Since apparently coming home at a decent hour and interfacing is what makes your partners happy, that’s what I’ll do!” Starscream shut off his microscope with a flourish and then flounced away from the lab bench.
Wheeljacked stared after him, blinking several times. Then he shrugged and turned back to his own project. It wasn’t quite how he’d envisioned getting Starscream out on time, but in the end, objective achieved!
--
The next day, Starscream stormed in and blew past Wheeljack with an embarrassed glare. The Seeker immediately sat down at his station and flipped on his monitor, madly starting to type in an open file.
Wheeljack didn’t let it bother him. Starscream didn’t normally even acknowledge Wheeljack upon entering.
The two of them sat in silence for the rest of the afternoon, working on their individual projects. Wheeljack was creating a large-scale air purifier and he believed Starscream was working on quick-dissolving toxin absorber tablets. The miners were still discovering many pockets of contaminated energon, a great concern for Cybertronians.
About the same time as the evening before, Skywarp and Thundercracker stopped by again. As soon as they entered the lab, Wheeljack slanted his optics over. He expected to see Starscream greet his trinemates, if not with joy, at least cordially. But he just slumped in his seat and looked miserable.
On the other hand, Skywarp seemed ecstatic to see Starscream. Thundercracker seemed a great deal cheerier as well. So, whatever Starscream had done last night appeared to make them happier at least.
“Star! Do you think you’ll be getting out on time again tonight?” Skywarp cuddled up against Starscream’s back and planted kisses all over his shoulders. Thundercracker came up to Starscream’s other side, stroking a hand up and down Starscream’s arm.
Once more, Wheeljack thought he was the only one at the right angle to catch the flash of misery cross Starscream’s face.
“Perhaps. This experiment is in a delicate stage. I will–try.” He turned his face up to smile at Skywarp. Wheeljack thought it looked forced, but then again–how often had he seen Starscream smile?
“That’s all we can ask. Well, we’ll leave you to it then. I’ll be sure and save you some warmed Energon,” Thundercracker said, bending to kiss Starscream on the cheek. Skywarp practically strangled Starscream from behind before kissing him on the opposite cheek.
“And a warm berth!” Skywarp’s engines rumbled before Thundercracker pulled him away, laughing. “We love you!”
“Mm.”
As soon as the door closed, Starscream’s shoulders sagged. Either in defeat or relief, Wheeljack couldn’t tell. But he thought maybe he had done enough, so he kept his mouth shut.
“Are you pleased now? ‘Happy wife, happy life’, correct?”
Except Starscream seemed to want to talk.
Wheeljack slowly turned his stool to the side. “They do seem happier,” he commented. “But you seem kinda miserable. Can I ask you something?”
Starscream glanced at him. “Oh, now you ask?”
“Look, I’m sorry I butted in yesterday. I shouldn’t have said anything. And if you want me to drop this, I will,” Wheeljack offered.
Starscream looked tempted, but then he shook his head. “No, go ahead. If you don’t, you’ll probably die from sheer curiosity.”
“Rude. Anyway. You said yesterday you ‘picked’ Skywarp and Thundercracker to be your trinemates–is that common practice in your culture? My only experience with bonds is mate bonds and they’re of a romantic relationship.”
“Trines are romantic in nature,” Starscream replied, his optics narrowing slightly. “I misspoke yesterday.”
Wheeljack studied the other mech, glossa coming out to wet his lips behind his blast mask. “Are–are you–do you love Skywarp and Thundercraker, Starscream?”
“What?” Starscream reared back, stunned. “Of course I love my trinemates! I abandoned my time-sensitive experiment and interfaced them for half the night yesterday!”
“Right, right. No, it’s just–you–you’re not very comfortable with them, like–kissing and hugging you,” Wheeljack pointed out.
“Well, who would be? It’s cloying,” Starscream snapped. Wheeljack’s optics cycled.
“And last week you threw out the energon goodies Thundercracker brought you even though you’ve bought them for yourself plenty of times before,” Wheeljack added, his processor turning.
“They were–they seemed off,” Starscream said lamely.
“I’ve never heard you tell them ‘I love you’ back.”
“They know it. They don’t need to hear me say it all the time.”
“But do you actually love Skywarp and Thundercracker?” Wheeljack pressed.
Starscream threw his hands up, wings bristling. “I don’t know!” he yelled.
Wheeljack jerked back on his stool, optics wide. Starscream’s mouth dropped open at his own outburst and his chest heaved in distress.
Wow. Wheeljack had thought it would take a little more poking to reach this point. Maybe things had been bubbling beneath the surface for a while.
“–Starscream?”
Starscream swallowed heavily. His vocalizer clicked a few times before producing words again.
“I enjoy interfacing them. I–I’m fond of them, certainly. I would be upset if they offlined, yet I’d still continue with my life. I know I’m not a typical trinemate, but I would never betray them,” Starscream promised with a shake of his head.
Wheeljack ever so slowly reached up and unlocked his blast mask, removing it. He carefully set it aside before returning his gaze to Starscream.
“Starscream–I think you might be aromantic,” Wheeljack said gently.
“You took off your mask. You never take off your mask. We’re in the lab; you shouldn’t take off your mask,” Starscream said, voice numb. “What’s aromantic?”
“It means someone doesn’t experience romantic attraction to other people. I had my first inkling when you said you picked Thundercracker and Skywarp. The fact you dislike their displays of affection kind of reinforced it. But I could be wrong. Maybe you just chose Thundercracker and Skywarp for particular reasons and you actually love someone else–“
“No!” Starscream shot to his pedes. “No, I’ve never–this is a real thing?”
Starscream looked desperate for Wheeljack’s reply. It was weird. Wheeljack was used to seeing Starscream with a sneer or a smirk on his face.
“Yes, Starscream. I wouldn’t lie to you about this.”
Starscream waved a hand through the air. “You wouldn’t lie to me about anything,” he said dismissively.
Wheeljack stared at Starscream, taken back. Did Starscream mean to imply Wheeljack wasn’t a liar in general? Or that Starscream trusted Wheeljack? Regardless, Wheeljack chose to take it as a compliment, and his spark warmed.
“So, this–condition–is it a result of a virus? Can it be cured?”
“No–no, it’s not something that develops. It’s something people are born with. It’s just the way the processor is wired,” Wheeljack said. Starscream sagged in disappointment.
“I can’t be fixed?”
Wheeljack shot to his feet. He had his hands clamped down on Starscream’s shoulders an instant later. “There’s nothing to be fixed. There’s nothing wrong with you!”
Starscream jerked backward out of Wheeljack’s grip. “Tell that to Skywarp and Thundercracker! They’re stuck with a trinemate who doesn’t know what love is!”
“That’s not true! You can still experience many kinds of love. For example, if you had a child, you would love it, wouldn’t you? That’s familial love,” Wheeljack said.
Starscream tilted his head, his gaze turning wistful. “I have always wanted a sparkling,” he commented softly. “I would cherish it; they’re precious.”
“Exactly! And just like you said, you’re fond of your trinemates. That’s still love; just platonic.”
Starscream nodded, dropping his gaze to his pedes. “I always knew I was–I was–different. Interfacing was easy, but relationships–? And my Creators kept pressuring me to find trinemates. After a while, I grew desperate because I couldn’t seem to make connections as everyone else did. So, you’re right. I essentially picked out Skywarp and Thundercracker–both for their unique abilities and their lineages. I wooed them the way I saw other Seekers doing it–and it worked.”
“Then the war started and there really wasn’t a whole lot of time to devote to relationships anyway,” Wheeljack surmised.
“Essentially, yes. I–what is that smell?”
Wheeljack watched Starscream’s head shoot up. Starscream’s wings stiffened and then he whirled around, diving for Wheeljack. “Down!”
They hit the floor with a jarring thud. An instant later, Wheeljack heard a fizz, and then a pop, and felt a large wash of heat flow over his pedes and lower legs. The rest of him was covered by Starscream’s frame, Wheeljack’s head tucked protectively in Starscream’s arms.
That was sweet, really, but Wheeljack had been through several hundred lab-related explosions by now. As debris rained down on them, he judged this one to be no higher than a 4 on his internal damage scale.
After a minute or so, things had calmed down enough for Starscream to tentatively raise his upper body. He stared down into Wheeljack’s face.
“This is all your fault,” Starscream spat. “You took your stupid blast mask off. It was asking Primus to strike us down. Now I’m pretty sure my wings are burned to Pit and back. Do you know how many lab accidents I’ve had in my life before I met you? One. One!”
“It was Skywarp, wasn’t it?” Wheeljack’s voice was sympathetic. He couldn’t tell if Starscream was being dramatic about the burns or not. He did tackle Wheeljack and shield him, after all, so it was a good possibility.
“Of course it was Skywarp. He warped in at the exact wrong moment.” Starscream leveraged himself up with a hiss. As soon as he was on his hands and knees, Wheeljack scooted out from under the other mech and got to his feet. Wheeljack surveyed Starscream’s back with a wince.
Ok, maybe the explosion had been closer to a 6.
“Well, I gotta say: it’s nice to not have been the cause of a lab accident for once!” Wheeljack said cheerfully. He helped Starscream stand, supporting a good portion of his weight. “Come on, let’s get you to the Medical Center. From my extensive experience, those burns definitely need more care than I can give you here.”
“I hate you,” Starscream muttered.
“No, you don’t. You protected me,” Wheeljack replied, feeling strangely light. “We’re friends. I knew it!”
“Hate. You.”
--
The following day, Wheeljack entered his lab and sighed at the destruction. He’d stayed with Starscream until Thundercracker and Skywarp could arrive and then gone back to the lab to evaluate the extent of the damage. He hadn't thought there was any structural loss of integrity but had put in a call for Grapple to stop by to be sure. Fortunately, he had confirmed there was no structural damage to the floor or any other parts of the building. So, now it was time for Wheeljack to start on clean-up of the superficial destruction.
He’d gotten two hours in when the door to the lab burst open. Wheeljack straightened and watched in puzzlement as Skywarp and Thundercracker entered. Skywarp scanned the room, spotted Wheeljack, and stomped over, face a thundercloud.
“Skywarp, is everything ok? Is Starscream–?”
Before Wheeljack could finish, Skywarp’s fist lashed out and caught Wheeljack across the face. Fortunately, Wheeljack had learned his lesson and his blast mask caught all the blow. It still had enough power behind it to rock Wheeljack’s head to the side, however, and Wheeljack reflexively stumbled backward, nearly falling over a pile of debris.
“What–?”
“He thinks he doesn’t love us! Are you trying to steal him away? Huh? Is that it? Well, it’s not going to work! We’ve been with him for millennia!” Skywarp shouted, getting into Wheeljack’s face.
“Warp, back off. We say we’d talk about this rationally,” Thundercracker said, pulling on Skywarp’s arms. Wheeljack had a moment to thank Primus at least one of them was reasonable. However, the glare on Thundercracker’s face proved that reason had its limits.
“Ow.” Wheeljack rubbed his mask. “Let me guess: Starscream talked to you both while hopped up on pain chips and completely butchered everything? Look, I have absolutely no designs on your trinemate. This whole thing started because I wanted to make you three happier, not drive you apart.”
Skywarp settled against Thundercracker’s side, still seething. Thundercracker however, tilted his head and studied Wheeljack. “Starscream was loopy. He was pretty hard to follow.”
“He cried. We thought he was trying to break up with us at first,” Skywarp said. A tear of his own trickled down his cheek.
“Was he?”
“No. He said he didn’t want to break up the trine. But he also said he didn’t love us. It was–confusing,” Thundercracker admitted.
Wheeljack sighed. “I’m sorry. It was bad timing for him to bring that up now. He does love you–just not romantically.”
Skywarp and Thundercracker exchanged glances. “Explain,” Thundercracker demanded.
“I can’t decide for Starscream, but I believe he’s aromantic. That’s what we were talking about yesterday. It distracted him from his experiment, and–well–you saw what happened next,” Wheeljack said, gesturing around them. “Aromantics don’t experience romantic attraction to other people. They still love–platonic, familial love, etc but not the type of love that makes up mate bonds.”
Skywarp blindly reached for Thundercracker. “That–is that why Starscream’s always been–so–so –cold with us, do you think? I always thought it was because I’m so much, but–” He looked at his trinemate, optics wide.
Thundercracker cupped Skywarp’s cheek. “You’re not too much, Warp, I’ve told you this before.” He looked back at Wheeljack. “What did Starscream say? Did he agree with you?”
Wheeljack nodded reluctantly. He didn’t want to put words in Starscream’s mouth, but he also wanted to reassure Thundercracker and Skywarp. “I believe so. He seemed relieved to have a word for it.”
“How do you know this?”
Wheeljack shrugged. “I’m not exactly typical when it comes to relationships myself.”
Skywarp perked up. “Are you aromantic too?”
“Essentially. So, as I said, you don’t have to worry about me and Starscream.” Wheeljack didn’t want to go into the details of his own label or how he once developed what he thought were romantic feelings for someone centuries ago. It didn’t matter anyway; that mech was long dead.
“Look, I know this is a lot,” Wheeljack said. “There’s a small amount of literature on the topic I can send to you and Starscream. Just know that if he truly identifies as aromantic, he does love you in his own way. It’s not traditional, but not all families and relationships are.”
Skywarp and Thundercracker exchanged another glance, one somber and heavy. They at least didn’t seem to want to rip Wheeljack apart at the seams anymore.
“Yeah. We’re from Vos; we understand,” Thundercracker said. “It’s common for at least two generations on three sides to raise a sparkling.”
“Ah–sorry I hit you,” Skywarp said, head bowing. His pedes shuffled together like a chastised youngling.
“It’s ok.” Wheeljack waved it off. Seekers were territorial, everyone knew that.
“No, like I’m really sorry.” Skywarp looked up and then strode over. Wheeljack automatically flinched as Skywarp threw his arms around Wheeljack in a tight embrace. “Starscream risked himself to protect you. That means he loves you–platonically or in a familial way or whatever. If he loves you, I love you too.”
Wheeljack stared, flabbergasted, at Thundercracker over Skywarp’s shoulder. Thundercracker shrugged, a small grin on his faceplates.
“I don’t love you,” Thundercracker said. “I don’t know much about you. But if Starscream dove in front of an explosion for you, I’ll certainly acknowledge you as trine-adjacent. Come on, Skywarp, we should get back to Star.”
“Okay!” Skywarp chirped. He bounced back onto the heels of his thrusters with a little wave at Wheeljack. Whirling around, he nearly took Wheeljack out with a pertly upturned wing, but Wheeljack ducked just in time. He was certain Thundercracker was silently laughing at him as he took Skywarp’s hand. “Bye, Jack!”
“Uh, bye.” Wheeljack weakly waved back. “Tell Starscream I said, ‘get better soon’!”
“We will!” Thundercracker let Skywarp go through the door first and then smiled at Wheeljack before departing as well. After the door closed, Wheeljack stared at it for a few moments before shaking his head in disbelief.
Ratchet was never gonna believe Wheeljack had just been adopted into a Seeker trine.
~ The End